On August of 2012, a very special woman left to the heaven’s above. At the age of 47, Modesta Longoria-our Tia, passed away after a valiant battle with breast cancer. During her last weeks with us physically, many of us will never forget her telling us that although her body was tired, she HERSELF- was not. This was a testament of her strong spirit and her courageous journey with this unfortunate disease.
In 2012, we added an additional philanthropy to Supernova- Celebrating Life, While Giving Back To The Community, in honor of our loved one – Auntie Modesta (Tita). Her journey and will to fight this disease is an inspiration that provided strength, support, and love to so many. In her honor, we introduced a scholarship that is available to students.
- Personal Essay (2 pages maximum). Open to any major but please describe how your current educational and/or professional path will lead towards raising cancer awareness, prevention and/ or support within the Latino community and/or vulnerable populations.
- Must be enrolled at least part time (6 units) in a community college or university in Northern California, working towards an Associate, Bachelors, or Masters degree
- Current transcripts (unofficial is ok). Must have a minimum 2.8 GPA
- At least one letter of recommendation from a professor, mentor or employment supervisor, speaking on your potential for leadership and qualification for this award
- Students of Latino background (or any student who demonstrates a commitment towards working with Latino communities)
(Above: Photo of 2019 scholarship recipients Brenda Marquez and Eliana Lopez)
Recipients are required to be available for the Supernova – Celebrating Life, While Giving Back To The Community event on Saturday, November, 19, 2022, to be presented with their scholarship.
Please submit all materials by Tuesday, November 1st @ 11:59 p.m. via email to email@example.com
Scholarship recipients will be notified by Tuesday, November 8th, 2022 and the scholarship presented at SUPERNOVA, on Saturday, November 19th, 2022 (winning applicant(s) must be present).
For additional support, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org